Here's a short list of artists I've been listening to over the last week or so. Click for additional stats on what else I like lately.

On the upstairs porch, at the Mansion on Judges Hill, Austin, TX, 11/9/07. Lonestar beer is the local swill, and is comparable to a Pabst, Stroh's, etc.

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

R.I.P. Stylus, You Will Be Missed

Man, talk about one of the biggest bummers I've had in a while. I went over to check Stylus Magazine -- one of my favorite daily reads -- only to discover that they're shutting their doors as of today. Suck!

Stylus was always seen as a RC Cola to Pitchfork's Coke-style dominance of online music-crit sites. Really, I think I liked Stylus better. They were never quick to go full steam ahead on a trend the way PF often does. They covered music that wasn't under the safe umbrella of "indie", and turned me on to quite a few records that I never would have checked out otherwise (Avett Brothers, The Field, My My, etc). I am shitty at this news.

If there is anything good to come of it, readers get their first glance at the Best records, songs and films of 2007. Go check'em out.

Here is one of my personal favorite Stylus articles ever: Back to the Future vs. Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure.

Comments on "R.I.P. Stylus, You Will Be Missed"

 

post a comment
This blog hosts original music and recordings by Mike Hicks.
Click here to access all of the the songs that have been posted thus far. Please feel free to comment, or email me.

Powered by Blogger