Here's a short list of artists I've been listening to over the last week or so. Click for additional stats on what else I like lately.

On the upstairs porch, at the Mansion on Judges Hill, Austin, TX, 11/9/07. Lonestar beer is the local swill, and is comparable to a Pabst, Stroh's, etc.

Friday, June 16, 2006

Friday List - The Hierarchy of Led Zeppelin Records

In true Haahnster, classic-rock-loving fashion, here's a ranking, in order, of the best [read: not "my favorite" or some poll or other junk-science non-sense] Led Zeppelin studio releases:

9. Coda
8. Led Zeppelin I
7. Presence
6. Led Zeppelin III
5. Led Zeppelin II
4. In Through the Our Door
3. Led Zeppelin IV
2. Physical Graffiti
1. Houses of the Holy

Disagreements are futile. Also, while I won't guarantee it, I am going to make an effort to post a list of some sort each friday.

Comments on "Friday List - The Hierarchy of Led Zeppelin Records"

 

Blogger haahnster said ... (6/16/2006 2:57 PM) : 

Futile or not, here I go...

DUDE! I grew up on Zeppelin. I lived and breathed their music from 6th grade through freshman year of high school...

Their 1st album way down at #8?! You must be "Dazed and Confused"...

9. Coda
8. Presence
7. III
6. Out Door
5. Graffiti
4. I
3. Houses
2. II
1. IV

Rock on!

 

Blogger Mike H. said ... (6/16/2006 8:19 PM) : 

Haahnster - I hope you realize that this post was specifically intended to bait you in to a comment. That said, I am right there with you on the Zep period. I spent the better part of 7th through 9th grade fighting off comments like, "Hicks, fucking shut up about Zeppelin already."

I can appreciate early Zep (I-III), but I prefer the more intuitive period of Page's work. Early Zep was all about riffology, whereas the later stuff really explored open tunings, dynamic phrasing and just all around compositional brilliance. On top of that I'm a HUGE Bonham fan and I just really think that some of his most intelligent and innovative beats came to fruition on the later records.

Don't get me wrong - I love ALL Zeppeling and would say that they recorded maybe one bad song (Hats off to Roy Harper). They are my favorite band ever. Easily even.

 

Blogger haahnster said ... (6/17/2006 6:48 AM) : 

The act of mentioning me by name in the original post did somewhat clue me in. I'm almost always a willing bait-taker anyway!!!

It's wild...I almost never listen to Zeppelin anymore, but still consider myself a big fan. And, I can't remember tons of fairly vital facts and events from my life. But, I can still easily recall that "Misty Mountain Hop" is the first song on Side 2 of Zep's 4th album.

People dis Zep for plundering the blues, and ridicule them for various reasons (e.g., Plant's ridiculously tight jeans and posturing). I just know that I love their music. Period. A lot of the highlights for me are in Page's acoustic guitar work: "Black Mountain Side", "Going to California", that amazing intro to "Over the Hills and Far Away", etc.

Zeppelin rocks and f*ck whoever doesn't think so. And, about the "one bad song" comment, my friends and I always used to say that Zep never had a Greatest Hits LP because every song they recorded was a greatest hit. It's not far from true...

 

Blogger Middle Name: Stanley said ... (6/17/2006 9:26 AM) : 

Plant's tight jeans? Oh. You must be referring to Zep's video "The Balls Remain the Same"

 

Blogger Mike H. said ... (6/19/2006 9:05 PM) : 

Seriously, The Crunge? Great-ish song. Look past Plant's cheesy James Brown riffing (and Page's for that matter) and focus on the killer Bonham beat and JPJ bass line. That's a quality tune. Granted, it's the worst song on Houses, but Houses is one of the best albums ever recorded.

 

Blogger haahnster said ... (6/20/2006 3:52 AM) : 

I had several friends who would skip "Battle of Evermore" when listening to side one of Zep's 4th album, because they couldn't wait to get to "Stairway". So, I suppose everything is relative, especially with Led Zeppelin. "Battle of Evermore" would've been THE best tune on an album by most other bands. But, on the same album side as "Black Dog", "Rock and Roll", and "Stairway to Heaven", well, it's all relative.

In Mat's defense, Macky, if you could please describe how one is to listen to "The Crunge" *without* hearing Plant's bizarre vocal affectation...

PS - Plant's "it's sooo goooood" at the end of "The Ocean" is one of the loudest orgasms ever recorded!

 

post a comment
This blog hosts original music and recordings by Mike Hicks.
Click here to access all of the the songs that have been posted thus far. Please feel free to comment, or email me.

Powered by Blogger