Here's a short list of artists I've been listening to over the last week or so. Click for additional stats on what else I like lately.

On the upstairs porch, at the Mansion on Judges Hill, Austin, TX, 11/9/07. Lonestar beer is the local swill, and is comparable to a Pabst, Stroh's, etc.

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Shows coming up / Sufjan Bashing

The shows listed on the sidebar got some much-needed updating this morning and some key shows caught my eye. Foremost, f*cking Dr. Octagon in the house at Abbey Pub, Thursday August 10! Where did this come from? I know at least one of you is down for this. We need to talk about tix.

I'm also completely psyched for the recently annouced Okkervil River two-night stand at Schubas, Saturday and Sunday, October 7-8. I completely missed the boat on 2005's masterful Black Sheep Boy -- one of the most inspired concept albums in recent memory I would argue. I bought it in January and in retrospect it's probably my true favorite album of 2005.

UPDATE: How could I forget the upcoming show from the newly-symphonic Sufjan Stevens, Tuesday, September 28 at the Riviera. Tickets go on sale this Saturday at 10am CST.

And speaking of Sufjan (I promise no more for a while after this) - All Music Guide honcho Stephen Thomas Erlewine takes a few swipes at him in this piece, and ends up with a classic case of "critic-itis" -- or the burning sensation caused when a critic's previous endorsement becomes a little too popular for their own rep. Signs of infection include excessive whining (Erlewine-ing), "I was there when"-ing, and other rep-saving / self-differentiating patchwork.

Comments on "Shows coming up / Sufjan Bashing"

 

Blogger Rob said ... (7/13/2006 8:53 AM) : 

Oh hell yessss...

 

post a comment
This blog hosts original music and recordings by Mike Hicks.
Click here to access all of the the songs that have been posted thus far. Please feel free to comment, or email me.

Powered by Blogger