Here's a short list of artists I've been listening to over the last week or so. Click for additional stats on what else I like lately.

On the upstairs porch, at the Mansion on Judges Hill, Austin, TX, 11/9/07. Lonestar beer is the local swill, and is comparable to a Pabst, Stroh's, etc.

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Beck - "Think I'm In Love"

Here's some new music from Beck's forthcoming release:

Update From YouTube.com: This video has been removed at the request of copyright owner RIAA because its content was used without permission. (Editor's note: sh'yeah right. more on this to come.)



What's gotten in to this guy? First he makes a mediocre album (Guero) with the previously unstoppable Dust Brothers and now even the new Nigel Godrich-produced tracks show signs of being thin on inspiration. Could it be the recent marriage? Happiness is often a gateway drug to crappy music. Homeboy needs an old-fashioned drug habit.

In all fairness, I think the muted bass sounds great (a Godrich production holdover from the Sea Change era). It's just the double-track vocal thing and boring melodies that have me worried. The best thing about Beck's music is the way he fills the holes with interesting melodic phrases, instrumentation, toy gun sounds, ticks, bloops, beeps and so on. The post-Sea Change stuff just feels empty.

Comments on "Beck - "Think I'm In Love""

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8/02/2006 6:51 PM) : 

mike - you need to be shot in the face. guero was awesome.

 

Blogger Mike H. said ... (8/03/2006 11:50 AM) : 

Shot in the face? You would be willing to have me killed for my Guero beliefs? Fine. Make a martyr of me. Like Obi-wan I will only become more powerful if you strike me down.

 

post a comment
This blog hosts original music and recordings by Mike Hicks.
Click here to access all of the the songs that have been posted thus far. Please feel free to comment, or email me.

Powered by Blogger