Here's a short list of artists I've been listening to over the last week or so. Click for additional stats on what else I like lately.

On the upstairs porch, at the Mansion on Judges Hill, Austin, TX, 11/9/07. Lonestar beer is the local swill, and is comparable to a Pabst, Stroh's, etc.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Imagine me and Mew, and Mew and Me

Just got my hands on this new disc, And the Glass Handed Kites, from Danish space-rock quartet, Mew. Besides being newly crowned as the ugliest piece of cover art in my CD collection (I love how ferocious the biggest head looks), it's also one of the best and most unique listens of the year.

So far, critics have name-checked a surprisingly wide variety of groups as possible influences including My Bloody Valentine, Dream Theatre, Sigur Ros, OK Computer-era Radiohead, Disintigration-era Cure, Dinosaur Jr. and even f*cking Queensryche (which is probably the most accurate of all of them!). Between the endless synth washes, the tightly-synched bass and drums, and punchy guitars, this one is delectibly prog-olicious.

Check bank here later today for a coupla tracks.

Comments on "Imagine me and Mew, and Mew and Me"

 

Blogger Alison said ... (8/23/2006 7:24 AM) : 

As the actual purchaser of this disk, I demand that you burn me a copy of this and then give it to me with my ac adapter so I can listen to it.

 

Blogger Mike H. said ... (8/23/2006 8:24 AM) : 

Done -- I will give you a copy tonight.

 

post a comment
This blog hosts original music and recordings by Mike Hicks.
Click here to access all of the the songs that have been posted thus far. Please feel free to comment, or email me.

Powered by Blogger