Here's a short list of artists I've been listening to over the last week or so. Click for additional stats on what else I like lately.

On the upstairs porch, at the Mansion on Judges Hill, Austin, TX, 11/9/07. Lonestar beer is the local swill, and is comparable to a Pabst, Stroh's, etc.

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Amy Winehouse - Back to Black

Remember when Macy Gray broke out? I feel like the same thing is happening with Amy Winehouse -- who's success so far seems to be rooted in her amazingly unique voice. Unlike Gray, there's an air of nostalgia that definitely players in her favor -- namely her rasp, which owes a debt to 1940-50s jazz singers like Sarah Vaughn and Ella Fitzgerald. Time will tell how "sticky" this kind of retro can remain -- assuming that most of the listeners pushing her up the charts (so far peaking at #7 on the Top 200) are likely only casually familar with vocal Jazz.

Back to Black is an interesting listen nonetheless. For me it's exciting to see public support for an act so deeply rooted in the kind of rhythm & blues your grandma would probably dig.

DOWNLOAD:
Amy Winehouse - Bank to Black

Labels: ,

Comments on "Amy Winehouse - Back to Black"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4/25/2007 6:26 AM) : 

I'm a fan of the winehouse also. I'll probably listen when I get home.

Like the new design!

 

post a comment
This blog hosts original music and recordings by Mike Hicks.
Click here to access all of the the songs that have been posted thus far. Please feel free to comment, or email me.

Powered by Blogger