Here's a short list of artists I've been listening to over the last week or so. Click for additional stats on what else I like lately.

On the upstairs porch, at the Mansion on Judges Hill, Austin, TX, 11/9/07. Lonestar beer is the local swill, and is comparable to a Pabst, Stroh's, etc.

Monday, July 30, 2007

Top Rock Drummers

Stylus has a great feature this week, counting down the top rock drummers of all time. Is John Bonham a shoe-in for #1? It's hard to say.

Here's my list of drummers that might appear in the Top 10:
  • Neil Peart (Rush)
  • John Bonham (Led Zeppelin)
  • Keith Moon (The Who)
  • Ringo Starr (The Beatles)
  • Lars Ulrich (Metallica)
  • Stewart Copeland (The Police)
  • Mitch Mitchell (Jimi Hendrix Experience)
  • Dave Lombardo (Slayer)
  • Phil Collins (Genesis / solo)
  • Alex Van Halen (Van Halen)
I'll predict Bonham takes gold, as he is easily my favorite drummer of all time. This is definitely NOT a of Top 10 personal favorites -- just those I think are likely. To me, Keith Moon is incredibly overrated, and Lars doesn't get enough credit -- probably because he's kind of a douchebag.

That said, Stylus will inevitably throw us a couple of curve balls, Animal from the Muppets, or something. Will Ginger Baker make the cut? Dave Grohl? Max Weinberg? Who did I forget?

Post your list, and we'll see who's closest later this week, once they're all announced.

Labels:

Comments on "Top Rock Drummers"

 

Blogger Byron said ... (7/31/2007 10:15 AM) : 

Wow do I have a lot to say... First off yes... Bonzo is the UNO! That being said... Dr. Teeth, let alone The Electric Mayhem would be nothing without Animal... I agree with the Ginger Baker call as well... Cream is very deserving... Alex VH as well... Ringo... sorry you don't make the cut. He just hung out with three other cool guys... Mr. Conductor does not get the nod. I have to give one final shout out to Matt Soron of G'n'F'n'R as well... Thoughts Mack?

 

Blogger Byron said ... (7/31/2007 10:24 AM) : 

Here's my list...
1. John Bonham - The Zep
2. Mo Tucker - The Velvet Underground
3. Neil Peart - Rush
4. Carl Palmer - ELP
5. Ginger Baker - Cream
6. Bill Bruford - Yes
7. Stewart Copeland - The Police
8. Terry Bozzio - Frank Zappa
9. Keith Moon - The Who
10. Mark Portnoy - Dream Theater

 

Blogger Mike H. said ... (7/31/2007 10:36 AM) : 

Come on man! Ringo invented the reverse drum fill -- starts on toms, ends on snare. As for the Guns' drummer, he always seemed pretty average to me -- good, but not noticeably good.

Thinking back on the list I posted, I realize it's WAY too mainstream to be reflective of what Stylus, in all its indie-zine glory, will likely end up with.

I could see somebody like Georgia Hubley from Yo La Tengo getting in to the mix as a curveball, but not anywhere near the top.

I also think they're throw in some kind of punk drummer for good measure. Maybe Roberto Valverde from Black Flag and the Misfits.

One person who is deserving of a nod is Carlton Barrett from the Wailers... depending on one's flexibility with this being a "Rock" drummer list. The guy basically created and perfected the entire feel of reggae.

I also think Jon Fishman should get some props, but that probably won't happen.

 

Blogger Mike H. said ... (7/31/2007 10:46 AM) : 

Terry Bozzio -- good call. That guy was a monster.

All in all, yours a good, fair list. It's heavy on the prog side, but let's face it, the most technically sophisticated drummers in rock music play prog.

I also think the dude from Helmet and Battles is the shit.

Mo Tucker? At #2?

 

Blogger Byron said ... (7/31/2007 10:49 AM) : 

Ok... People I think will make the Stylus list...
King Coffee - The Butthole Surfers
Chris Mars - The Replacements
Patrick Byrne - Big Black
Dave Lovering - The Pixies
...
I think Mo Tucker has a good shot...
They've alread pur up Steve Shelley and Gary Hart... You might see the guy from Minor Threat...

 

Blogger Byron said ... (7/31/2007 10:50 AM) : 

Mo Tucker is the shit... Meg White wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for her... Mo did a shit load for drumming in rock music...

 

post a comment
This blog hosts original music and recordings by Mike Hicks.
Click here to access all of the the songs that have been posted thus far. Please feel free to comment, or email me.

Powered by Blogger