Here's a short list of artists I've been listening to over the last week or so. Click for additional stats on what else I like lately.

On the upstairs porch, at the Mansion on Judges Hill, Austin, TX, 11/9/07. Lonestar beer is the local swill, and is comparable to a Pabst, Stroh's, etc.

Monday, August 07, 2006

What I did on my Lollapalooza Vacation

Saw a little or most of the following acts, and enjoyed occasional highlights:

Saturday: Cold War Kids, The Go! Team, Built to Spill, Particle, Gnarls Barkley, Disco Biscuits, The Flaming Lips, The New Pronographers

Sunday
: Hot Chip, Nickel Creek, Andrew Bird, The Shins, Poi Dog Pondering, Wilco

Sorry I missed (Sat/Sun only): Sa Ra, Feist, Calexico, Lyrics Born, Sonic Youth, Kanye West, Of Montreal, Deadsy, Broken Social Scene

Not sorry I missed: Red Hot Chili Peppers

Thing that mostly sucked: The walking. The distance from the Northern-most to Southern-most stages was exactly a mile. Couple this with 60,000+ people going in every which direction and plan on spending 40 minutes just to get where you need to go. Everyone who went must have missed at least one high priority show because of this.

Thing that mostly did not suck: Lots of water fountains, portapots and shade. While not as fan-friendly as the Pitchfork fest last weekend, I do have to give multiple props to Lolla management for putting together the resources to make it all happen and to the crowd for keeping it chill all weekend. At $3 a piece, water was definitely overpriced. The food could have been a little more reasonable as well, but I don't feel like there was any major gouging.

Biggest Surprise: The marketing presence. AT&T's air conditioned tent was like walking in to a giant spiderweb of an advertisement. Everywhere you look people were giving away free shit, be it CDs, lip balm, mist fans, fake tattoos, whatever.

Comments on "What I did on my Lollapalooza Vacation"

 

Blogger Mike H. said ... (8/07/2006 3:08 PM) : 

Ween was Friday, homes. I didn't go friday. Aaron saw it, said it was good.

 

Blogger AC said ... (8/08/2006 4:08 PM) : 

Yos, twasn't so hot....really. Ween kicked the shit out of most bands. I was by far the closest for it, maybe 15 people back. Only bad thing bout it was there was very little newer songs. I'm even talking about Quebec here.

 

Blogger AC said ... (8/08/2006 4:12 PM) : 

I have to agree with the highlights adding Ween and Broken Social Scene on there. The culmination and total rocking of my brain by both was hard to beat.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8/10/2006 3:01 PM) : 

What'd you guys think of Go! Team? I saw them a couple of days before in Indy. I wanted the lead singer to do aerobics on my face.

 

Blogger Mike H. said ... (8/10/2006 7:28 PM) : 

The Go Team is great on record, me thinks, but there live show has waaaayyyy too much lead singer-ness going on. Sure she's hot, but does she have to sing over everything. GT is better staying as instrumental as possible, and that chick has the worst case of lead singer-itis this side of Chris Robinson.

What can I say? i love a lead singer who knows when not to sing. They're more rare than they should be.

 

post a comment
This blog hosts original music and recordings by Mike Hicks.
Click here to access all of the the songs that have been posted thus far. Please feel free to comment, or email me.

Powered by Blogger